Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Union County County Manager Controversey

In May, voters spoke and in a few short weeks, a new majority will be seated on the county commission board here in Union County.

However, what is not clear is if a new county manager will be seated or not. Worse, it appears Mrs. Rogers, Mrs. Kuehler and outgoing commissioner Lanny Openshaw are hell bent on hiring a manager without the consent of the three new commissioners who will comprise a majority.

What's the immediate rush? It took 18 months to find and hire Al Greene after the Shalati ordeal. Could it be that this board wants to circumvent any authority a new board might bring? And worse, the hiring practice of this headhunting firm to find a county manager may in fact be illegal. United for Union would very much like to hear from the board attorny and his recommendation.

The majority of Openshaw, Rogers and Kuehler has been a case study on how NOT to lead. In 2 short years they've managed to lose the trust of not only citizens of this county but also of firemen and women, our hospital and our business community. Now under their failed leadership they wish to rush and hire the CEO of a county that faces enormous challenges.

United for Union, just like the letter Mike Helms wrote on October 10 in the EJ, calls on district attorney John Snyder to investigate. We are putting this out to citizens all over Union County to ask for a possible criminal investigation.

Stay tuned...more to come.

6 comments:

  1. Investigate! Investigate! Investigate!

    This is unethical and hypocritical. How so you may ask? Wasn't it this board majority that investigated others for ethical violations? And what really gets me pissed, is where is this urgency in opening our Waxhaw ED and obtaining a lease extension?!

    Rogers, Kuehler, and Openshaw knew they could not get it done so rather than admitting their mistakes, they table it for the new board that will get it done. Secondly, as sore loosers, they try to push this through.

    Mr. Snyder, you don't have a choice but to investigate this and I can calling for you to investigate it NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Merritt needs to advise this board better on its own policies. I read the letter in Sunday's paper and have done some research myself.

    Mr. Helms is right! Mr. Snyder, you need to get involved soon on this. I don't care who they hire because anyone with a sound mind would not come under this current board. In fact, I would delay so the candidates could meet their new bosses and I am certain, we could get a higher quality candidate.

    This is just piss poor politics that hurts everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so focused on our national elections so we can end liberal and selfish leadership that I almost missed this.

    Thank you Mike Helms (no relation at all) for your letter in Sunday's EJ. I had no idea that our county commissioners are trying to hire a manager without a new board's input.

    I've worked in business all my life. When an executive left and my company began a search for replacement it would take about a year to complete. And now our government, which couldn't make a decision to expedite anything except taxes, wants to hire our new CEO in 2 months?

    Worse, they want to hire someone as 3 outgoing members of the commission leave and a new majority is seated December 1. What's the rush? Is this another Mike Shalati episode?

    Oh please Mr. Snyder, do investigate so we may know the truth behind this matter. It's shameful that Mrs. Rogers and Mrs. Kuehler are rushing to find someone so their personal agenda is fulfilled. I for one would hope that if a person is hired that they be let go in December. We don't need leadership like this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you are back up and going. I have missed your postings and I agree with the statements made. We are in a real mess here. I feel for the new board to have to clean it all up.

    If I was a candidate, I would not sign a contract with this board. It would be my desire to work with the new board and start out on the right foot. Perhaps that will end this merry-go-round of managers.

    I don't know if it will do any good, but I also endorse an investigation by our DA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are others not outraged by this? As it has been said, you know the quality of our candidates will be weak given the speed in which this process has occured and the history of tenure as manager in Union County.

    Has anyone heard of the commissioner candidates have been invited to the interviews?

    On another note, my neighbor Lanny Openshaw stooped to new lows with the Waxhaw library and now this! I am a bit upset with this site for not outing this outragous abuse of power. To talk down on the Waxhaw commissioners is totally unappropriate. Though I voted him in four years ago, I would never vote for him or any other Kravis endorsed candidate again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frank you mentioned Shalati and you know, you could be right. I shutter at the thought! I hope the two ladies I supported will take the high road and do what is right!

    I, for one, will be looking to see if there is a severance built in! God help us if it is!

    Please commissioners, don't do it! If so, I will remember this a year from May and yes, you are up next!

    ReplyDelete